Noelle - Day 287 (Being an Author is Exhausting)

Hi guys!
I dunno exactly what I'm going to do with this post, but I think I'm going to have fun complaining about how awesome my job is.

So I'm not exactly a published author, but let's just assume that I am a real author, since I have succeeded in:

  • Writing a book
  • Completely editing that book
  • Making convincing people to read said book
And I can tell you right now:  It is exhausting.  I started brainstorming (accidentally of course) for the Messy Marvel/RMS series after I saw Age of Ultron, and didn't start writing until after an RV trip with Elena in July/August (somewhere around there).  By the way, Elena, I don't think I told you this, but you're the whole reason RMS ever happened.  Everybody give her a big round of applause.

*clapclapclapclap*

Anyway, but being an author is HARD!!  After all, if you ever base a character off of some one (and then be an idiot and tell them like me ugh) then you end up with:
  • Don't make "my" character do that thing!  I would never do that!  I don't like that!
  • No, it's my character!  I'm just letting you do it!
  • You really shouldn't do that
  • Um, I don't like *random thing* so can you not?
And this really doesn't bug me that much (really) but it does drive me nuts when they call it "their" character.  It's my character.  It is in a book that I published.  If I had taken a character, like Lyra Valdez from Jay's awesome Magnus Chase fan fiction, then that would make it "her" character and I would gladly accept criticism.  And some of the people in my book aren't my characters, they're Marvel characters and I would gladly accept criticism about them.  But once I have taken some aspects of your personality and blended them into my own character...that makes it my character.  No matter if I say it was based off you or not.

Heck, Jessie Willow was originally based off me, and obviously I'm not that scary.  Or awesome.  End rant.

(Management would like to point out that Noelle is not trying to be mean nor is directing at this at anybody in particular, this is just her ranting.  She gets like this)

Or worse, when people for some reason think they can tell you want to do with your book...or are just totally and completely missing the point of certain things.  Like. Seriously.  There is a reason my characters are like that.

Like when somebody says that Sam is annoying and I should just get rid of him.
Or that they ship Jam (Jess x Sam)


When somebody says that Mirage is totally useless or too chirpy/happy
Or when they say that Astra is two dimensional and mean


Or when somebody's like, "Hey Noelle, can you give me some itty bitty spoilers for book three?  I promise I won't be upset!"
OR WHEN THEY SAY THAT THEY DON'T LIKE MOZART LIKE WHAT HE ONLY HAS LIKE TWO LINES SO FAR

I HAVE STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT MUSIC MAN, Y'ALL


Just...STOP.  BEFORE YOU HURT YOURSELF.

But besides those annoyances, being an author rocks.  Besides, the whole you know, writing bit.  Because you know...to be an author...you have to write something.  But that's the only hard part, so YAY.

I'm lying...the editing is the hard part.  Writing is fun.  You can do this.  I believe in you.  All that supposedly helpful stuff.  Supportive phrases.

Anyway, that's all for today folks (I guess).  I hope you have a great day, don't forget to comment (what are your horrible writing experiences?) and see you tomorrow for another awesome 365 Days post!  (77 days until the finish line!)  Byyyyye!

P.S.
Festus fan art coming soon!

Comments

  1. Holy Hephaestus!I'm not the only one! Thank the gods, Noelle!

    But really, I feel the same way.
    "Have my character do this!"
    "If she's gonna be like me, make her like this!"
    "Have her fall in love with (random character)!"
    "Don't kill her kill the main character!" (I don't even understand this one, why would anyone do that!? Oh wait...Uncle Rick has already done that..)

    So yeah, thanks. Happy Four day! (Four from Divergent)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!

Popular posts from this blog

Jay & Noelle - WRITINGS TIPS

Hello, it's me... - Kathleen

Noelle - Day 250 (The Post For Writers)