Noelle - Day 296 (Military V.S. Civilian)
Hi everybody!
Sorry about that whole disaster of a post yesterday with Bucket Head. He has a tendency to steal unwatched electronics. :D
So I was thinking about my move and that sort of thing and realized...normal folk don't talk like us military brats. And we barely even notice, usually.
I first figured this out in geometry class a few days ago when I mentioned something about my move and everybody (including my teacher, Mrs. B - we luv you Mrs. B, stay awesome!) go "huh??" And I was like...wait. You guys don't understand a word I'm saying, do I? So yeah. What do military people say, versus what do civilians say?
Word for other party:
Sorry about that whole disaster of a post yesterday with Bucket Head. He has a tendency to steal unwatched electronics. :D
So I was thinking about my move and that sort of thing and realized...normal folk don't talk like us military brats. And we barely even notice, usually.
I first figured this out in geometry class a few days ago when I mentioned something about my move and everybody (including my teacher, Mrs. B - we luv you Mrs. B, stay awesome!) go "huh??" And I was like...wait. You guys don't understand a word I'm saying, do I? So yeah. What do military people say, versus what do civilians say?
![]() |
Word for other party:
- Brats say "civilian" or "normal people"
- Civilians say "veteran" or "omigosh thank you for your service you're like the best person ever God bless you God bless America here let me pay for the bill"
On Self Checkout:
- Civilians say "self check out" or "the machine"
- Brats say "Self check out...is easy to use! Just press the enter button...please remember to take your receipt. THANK YOU for shopping at the COMMISSARY!!! ...why are you all looking at me like that?"
On Moving:
- Civilians say "moving"
- Brats say "PCSing" or "WHY"
On Movers:
- Civilians say "should we tip them?"
- Brats say "Oh no they're here RUN"
On Patriotism:
- Civilians: *violently patriotic* "GOD BLESS AMERICA"
- Brats: *knows every word of the National Anthem* "What do you mean you don't stand up in the movie theater?"
Word for "Home":
- Civilians: "home" or "house" or "wait...you have a different word for this?"
- NJ Brats: "yes, yes we do. The dreaded letters...UC." *dramatic music*
- Normal Military Brats: "...?"
Word for "Hotel":
- Civilians say "hotel"
- Brats say "TLF"
Word for "Restaurant":
- Civilians say "restaurant"
- Brats say "DFAC" (well...actually we don't say this...I just wanted an excuse to put DFAC in there...don't judge)
Word for "Store":
- Civilians say "Store", *insert company name*, "the shop", "etc."
- Brats say all the same things that civilians say, plus "The BX" and "the commissary" (because we all know that the BX just changed to 'the X' to sound cooler)
On Guns:
- Civilians: *heated debate over how regulated they should be and when and why and how*
- Brats: "...oh look...an 19-year-old gate guard with a gun...how normal"
On Distant Machine Gun Fire:
- Civilians say "AAAAAAAH PANIC!!!!!! WE'RE BEING ATTACKED!!!"
- Brats say "oh they must be having an exercise"
Anyway, all the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. Comment with your favorite differences between military and civilian life!
Adios!

Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!