Elena - Meet Doodles


Hey!! This is about my cat Doodles! I thought that I might share her story with you guys.  It is 100% true.
This is the story about how she came into our family. Enjoy!
             

A long time ago in Altus, Oklahoma, 2005, there was a Siamese tortie point kitten. She was a skinny little fluff ball when she came to our door, meowing. She had brought a tiny little brown tabby kitten with her. It was covered in dog poop. My mom gave it a bath. They weren't afraid of us. The tortie point kitten's owners were on vacation, and had left them outside. We had no choice but to also leave her outside. My mom was allergic to cats, so we couldn't take her in. Mom fed her though, every time she came to our door. One time mom had to run to the commissary to get food for her because she was meowing all over our porch and we were out of food. She was always hungry when she came to our door. Then one day she came to our house, obviously pregnant. Mom brought her to live in our garage and bathed her and had her dewormed. We named her Snickerdoodles because she was the color of a snickerdoodles cookie but we decided to call her Doodles for short. She was in our garage for two weeks before she gave birth.  Five tiny kittens were born; three were black and two were tortoiseshell, like their mother. One of the tortoiseshell kittens died on the first day, she just wouldn't eat anything. The babies stayed in our garage for another week before the neighbor came.

Mom was cooking for a dinner party in October when the lady came to the door. She was one of our neighbors, the owner of the tortie point cat.

     "Hey," she said "Have you seen a white pregnant cat?" The mama cat wasn't white, she was tortie point, more tan really. Mom didn't know what she meant.

     "No, I haven't, I'm sorry. I'm preparing for a dinner party. I'll let you know if I see her." A few minutes later, mom realized what she meant. She called the lady and told her that since it had only been a week, it probably wasn't a good idea to move the cat. The lady agreed. During the dinner party the lady came over, demanding the kittens and the mother cat. 

     "My son has been crying. Missy is his cat, he loves her. He has been begging for her." Mom agreed to bring Missy and her kittens over after the dinner party.

When mom got to the lady's house with Missy and the four kittens, and knocked on the door, the lady's little boy answered the door. "Oh. Missy, my cat." he said, then went back to his T.V.  Mom left the kittens and Doodles there, and walked back home.

About seven weeks later, we had just come back form eating out when we heard meowing. Doodles and her three black kittens had their paws on the door, meowing as loud as they could. My mom let them inside, out of the cold. She bundled my brother, four years old at the time, and me, two years old at the time, back up in our coats again, and took us over to the lady's house.  As the lady opened the door, the little black kittens started squirming, and jumping out of my mom's arms.
"I found your kittens outside my house. I know that you wouldn't want them out in the cold."

The lady looked surprised. "Those aren't my kittens." she said. "I found homes for mine a few days ago."         
    
"But she takes care of them so I thought that-"
    
"Oh, she must have adopted them when she was missing her own kittens," she replied.

Everybody who knows cats, knows that cats typically don't adopt strange kittens... most cats are territorial, even with kittens.
   
"Well, can I have some cat food to borrow. The stores are all closed." Mom politely asked.

It was clear that the lady didn't want to help mom, but she gave her some cat food anyways. A few weeks later, we found a no-kill shelter that had one kennel open, and the kittens were able to go there to find homes. Doodles was supposed to stay with us only until mom found her a home but... Doodles is living happily ever after here with us forever.

I hope you liked it! I had to keep on asking mom what happened next in the story because I didn't really remember it. I was two at the time. Comment if you enjoyed the story, and thank you for reading!!!

Comments

  1. That's the coolest story! I'm glad you saved a cat that probably wasn't being treated well...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!

Popular posts from this blog

Jay & Noelle - WRITINGS TIPS

Hello, it's me... - Kathleen

Noelle - Day 250 (The Post For Writers)