Jillian - Tardy Tuesday
Hey hey!
So this Tuesday post is a little late... BUT.... it's because next week's post is going to be special! For now I have a short story that was a school assignment. Yay!
Onto the post!
So this Tuesday post is a little late... BUT.... it's because next week's post is going to be special! For now I have a short story that was a school assignment. Yay!
Onto the post!
My Dear Sister Martha,
A most gruesome this has happened this week. Our beloved John has been beheaded by King Herod! And for what you may ask? First, John was imprisoned because he reproved Herod for divorcing his wife. Then Herod’s step-daughter visited and from what I heard put on quite a confounding performance, whereas Herod claimed she could have whatever she asked for! Even up to half of his kingdom! Can you fathom that?!? He must have been very taken with her, but that’s only my opinion, you know us water maids only hear so much. Anyway, she requested John the Baptist head on a platter! Even that reckless, hardened lot must have drawn sharp breaths at the appalling request. What an awkward situation for King Herod. I’m sure him is Used to thinking of people as objects, used to beheading men at a whim! So he was beheaded.
After I’d heard of this, I marched start up to the front gates of Herod’s palace. No one stopped me. No one gave so much as a second glance. My skirt whipped in the wind as I square up one of the two posted guards.
He eyed me up then continued staring straight ahead. I pretended to cough, scuffing my feet around as I did.
The guard sighed, “King Herod is not allowing visitation hours today,” he paused. He was about 3 feet taller than me and had quite a gruff voice, much compared to one of a nile hippo.
He didn’t vex me one bit, “I don’t want to visit Herod!” I spat, “I want answers on why John the Baptist was killed unlawfully!”
The name “John the Baptist” aroused some of the crowd that was sulking around outside the gates. Some even entered and drew closer.
In an even toned voice the guard replied, “ It was an long-standing tradition that was carried out lawfully for the safety of the good people of this court.” He sounded as if he’d practiced that speech.
I growled, “You and I, as well as Herod, know that John was an incorruptible prophet worth more than Herod’s whole kingdom!”
The other guard posted smirked at me, as if even the thought of a peasant comprehending such thoughts and words amused him. I glared fire at him and he quickly looked away.
I turned my attention back to the guard and delivered one final blow.
“How many of these “good people” of the “court,” I paused, raising an eyebrow, “got to decide the fate of a faithful follower of Jesus Christ of Nazareth?”
The crowd erupted with yells of treason as they surged forward up to the guards.
I quietly turned and walked home. I could still hear shouts come from the palace when I reached the front door.
I hope you are enjoying your time in Bethlehem sister and you come home soon. I’m sorry that this letter was such a disturbing one but I fear there is more to come.
In the Lord’s Name,
Rachel
I hope you enjoyed this short post and can wait for the next one cause I'm planning on it be awesome!!!
(Note that I said PLANNING)
Bye!


Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!