Spiderman: Homecoming (Prep Post)

Hey everybody!


It's Noelle, your friendly neighborhood fangirl, and today we are going to discuss something that nobody requested and I decided to write on my equivalent of a drunk night (eating icecream, drawing, ignoring circadian cycles, and making bad blogger/life decisions)  But hey!  I know one of you who will like this (looking at you Clarissa) at least a little bit, so grab those webshooters and pulling on your CGI mask because today we’re talking about Spider-Man:  Homecoming.


I may have been watching too much Game Theory.  Sorry, MatPat, didn’t mean to steal your narration style.


Anywho, back on topic.  I did a post somewhat like this last year as a Civil War prep, because let me tell you, I was THRILLED for Civil War.  You can check out that post here, if you want to see me predict the future (I saw that Black Widow twist coming from a mile away, y’all)  When trying to track down that post for the link, I also came across these two gems, which legitimately made me laugh (despite the fact that I wrote them.  Could just be the sleep deprivation talking), so I’ll be trying to do some of the stuff I did in those posts in this one as well.


So, let’s start with the obvious:  main characters.  Spiderman:  Homecoming is returning to one of the most iconic characters of the Marvel franchise...that has only recently been acquired by Marvel *glares at Sony*.  It features Spiderman (obviously) and Tony Stark/Iron Man, which comes as a surprise at first but make sense if you remember where Spiderman got his origin.  But I’m getting ahead of myself.  Let’s talk about who Spidey is, because...obviously....if you’re reading this post.....you know nothing about that.......um.




Oh well.  I'll continue on with this plan, just because...I want to.  *shrug*  Spiderman or "Spidey", a.k.a. Peter Benjamin Parker, made his first comic book appearance in August 1962, and people LOVED him.  He's much more recently appeared in movies, which led to many more fans, including me!  Yep, that's how I got into Marvel.  Through a four-limbed arachnid.




He's been played by three different actors, and everybody has their favorites.  In the original trilogy (Spiderman 1, 2, and 3) he was played by Tobey Maguire.  Most people agree he was a goodish actor, and he'll forever be the star of the OT.  Then in the Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 he was played by Andrew Garfield, who got the sarcastic, quippy Spidey right but isn't exactly a favorite for Peter Parker (maybe that was the script, not the actor.  We will never know)  He's now being rebooted as Tom Holland, who is my personal favorite actor.

Side note, when researching this, I found out that you used to be able to buy comic books for twelve cents.  TWELVE CENTS!!  Now it's like twelve bucks, three sheep, and your imortal soul.

According to Marvel's Updated and Expanded Encylopdia of Worthless Knowledge, our friendly neighborhood webslinger is 5' 10", 170 pounds, and has hazel eyes.  I don't know what you'll do with that knowledge, but hey, with great power comes great responsibilty, which leads me to why this particular Spiderman movie is looking super original and great (despite the fact that it's not the first but the SECOND reboot)




While the story has small quirks in the various comic books, female versions, alternate universes (Spiderverse.  That comic book took me three reads and a wikipedia article to figure out), movies, and cartoons, the basic origin of Spiderman remains the same.  He's bitten by a radioactive spider, usually one owned by his best friend's secretly evil scientist dad Norman Osborn.  This spider somehow gives him the power of proportionate strength, speed, agility, and reflexes of a spider.  He possesses something called a "spider sense" that warns him of incoming danger but is as convenient as Batman's utility belt, and he's also a brilliant nerd who can invent stuff whenever the plot asks him too.  (See, I can poke fun at my favorite heros too)  He can cling to any surface, and originally could generate silk from his hands (I can't be the only one that was really grossed out by that in the movies....) but that was later ditched in the Amazing Spiderman and now the Spiderman: Homecoming versions.

His parents are dead (it's never addressed in the movies but apparently they died in a plane crash when he was a child.  I call B.S. on that story and say that they're secretly SHIELD agents that have to stay away from him for his protection)  Anyway, he's taken care of by his Uncle Ben and Aunt May, and then Uncle Ben gives him a dramatic speech about him using his power for good (great power, great responsiblity).  He promptly dies, his Disney-a-fied parental role now satisfied.

Man, I am weirdly savage today.  I think I've been working too much on D.A. episodes.

Why does this make Homecoming so original?  Glad I asked.  It's almost a problem, one that Marvel solved very well - how to fit Spidey into this already well-established MCU.  Unlike they did with Dr. Strange, both Black Panther and Spiderman were introduced in Civil War and are now getting stand-alone movies, which I'm fine with.  I've heard people complain that big movies are turning into ads for stand-alones, but I guess it's a matter of opinion.
























(both of them look like they're going to be sick, by the way.  There is no official trailer yet for Black Panther, those ones that you just looked up on Youtube (yes I saw that) are fan made.  I'll probably do another post like this for Black Panther, so you shall know when it comes out.

Homecoming features the Civil War version of Spidey, which everybody loved.  He had a new and improved suit (ok, not everybody loved that, but I did!), was unfortunately on team iron man, and was just all around adorkable.









But of course, Spidey isn't the only character in Homecoming.  This new movie also features Iron Man, and unfortunately not the Hawkeye Initative.



But hey, Mary Jane "M.J." Watson, Peter Parker's main interest, is a POC so I guess we're getting somewhere!

*sigh* I'm basically tangenting my way through this whole post, aren't I?  Anyway, I won't go into quite as much detail, but I will remind you that last time we saw Tony Stark, it was here:


Except you probably didn't see it that clearly, because it was through lots of tears and you were in a state of absolute horror over what had just occured.  :) Thanks :) Marvel :) for :) that :) movie.  He seems to be taking a mentor role for Spiderman, having made him a new suit in Civil War, but in the second trailer for Homecoming we see him threatening to take it away because....Spidey...couldn't keep a massive boat together with just the proportionate strength of a spider?

Wait, that can't be right.  *watches trailer a few dozen more times* Huh.



Tony you better be a good mentor to my baby or Jess will crawl from the depths of a sequel and murder you (more on RMS later :D)



Anyway, he DOES take away the suit, because several times in that trailer we see him wearing his pretty terrible homemade suit.  There's a lot more to be gleaned from the trailers, but from what I can tell, things are NOT going to be like Sony's movies.  Uncle Ben...is no where to be found, Aunt May is young and pretty (I actually don't approve of that but we'll let it slide), Harry Osborn has a lego death star (or yeah and finds about Peter's alter ego pretty early on), and for the first time in movie form, the Vulture is making an appearance!

I think.

Feel free to correct me in the comments if I'm wrong.

*scrolls through notes* Stats...theories...backstory.....oh yeah RMS.  I did say one paragraph ago that I'd talk about that....

Alright so Spiderman was actually the original inspiration for my triology series (see here) in his cartoon, Ultimate Spiderman, which I'm like 72% certain is still featured on Disney XD...I think?  Anyway, I found it on youtube, watched way too many episodes at a time, and was like 'huh wouldn't it be cool if I had a super hero on that team?'  Aaaaaand it all went down hill from there.

Um, some more stuff about RMS Spiderman that you probably didn't know, he has a Spidercave....that was kinda glossed over but it was in Book 2.  He was also the original love interest for Jess, but I decided that was too obvious and eventually paired him with Ava Ayala (a.k.a. White Tiger).  If I do write a sequel, he will be featured again as (haha sneak preview you didn't see coming) Nova is replaced on the team (and Penny.  You know Penny never got a code name like the rest....weird).  We never meet Aunt May, though she is talked about in book one, and even though the book is based off his cartoon and circles around characters that could be called 'spiderman's characters', he's really not that much of a main character.

I think that's all I'm going to talk about today....this post took me 2+ hours to write and I still haven't had breakfast...or managed to get a full night's sleep....or any of that stuff.  So before I shut down completely, let me know in the comments which character I should in-depth study next:  Black Panther, the All-New Avengers (that's a comic book thing, so idk how much y'all'd like that), or Dr. "Dormamu I've Come to Bargain" Strange.  Bye, and have a great week!!



None of the artwork in this post is mine, I do not claim ownership or rights to any of them.  Plz don't sue me, your artwork is amazing

P.S.

Yes, I know I just posted on Sunday, but I'm not really on a regular schedule of posting anymore anyway so I hope y'all don't mind.  Oh yeah, and before I go stagger off to find some food, have some fan art that I actually DID draw:



There....there was reasoning for this, I swear

LATERS

Comments

  1. So I haven't seen much... But I love Tom Holland...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's cool too Kathleen.....I just am way too obsessed with Marvel

      Delete
  2. I'm going to restrain myself and the pure joy this post has brought me and just say that I love all this Tony fanart you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D that works (wish I could say it was my art work but hahahaha nope)

      Delete
  3. Noelle.....MJ isn't in this movie.....the main love interest is Liz Allan

    ReplyDelete
  4. and neither is harry osborn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been informed by ALL THE PEOPLE that the usual Bffs of Peter Parker are off drinking pina coladas during this movie. Mah bad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol xD Noelle is so done guys xD If you haven't yet, check out the two other posts about Spider-man: Homecoming, in which we clarify more details about characters and cinematic background and such.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!

Popular posts from this blog

Jay & Noelle - WRITINGS TIPS

Hello, it's me... - Kathleen

Noelle - Day 250 (The Post For Writers)