Writer's Block

Hiya!
It's your favourite under-cover British writer, Noelle!  (yes, Mom, I'm just doing it to annoy you at this point)  As some of you know, I recently finished writing out my series RMS, and then...hit a low point.  I couldn't find hte inspiration to keep writing, and I think it's something that every writer faces at some point in his or her lifetime.  So here are my tips for breaking writer's block and a small piece that I wrote on it (because what better way to break writer's block than to write about it?)

So, starting with the tips:

Don't be afraid to walk away from your work:  everybody needs a break.  If you keep trying to force writing, not only will you be tired and upset, but your writing will reflect that.  It will be dry and tired feeling, like a Y.A. novel whose author has written the same story with different characters eight times now.  When you start to feel stuck, walk away for a week.  A month, if you have to, but no longer than that, because you'll start to get lazy after that and just tell yourself you have writer's block to avoid writing.  So don't be afraid!  Just take a deep breath, settle down, play some wii:  it won't be the end of the world.  I promise.

Read:   Sometimes all you need to get that creative spark again is to read something new.  Try a new book!  Read a magazine!  Stop putting off school work and actually read your assignments because you want to, not because you have to.  Trust me, it makes all the difference in the world.



Talk to people:  This is something I did; I don't know if it actually helps, but it does get you out of your little sad shell of writers blockiness.  Talk to people you normally wouldn't - if somebody looks frazzled, ask if you can help.  See somebody at your local store often?  Introduce yourself and ask how they're doing!  Not only is this good for social skills and that nonsense, but you'll get to hear stories and voices and things you normally wouldn't.

On the other hand of the spectrum, Listen:  Next time you're sitting somewhere where there's a lot of people, stop thinking.  Just listen.  Listen to those two ladies gossiping over their cookies; the tired tutor trying to get his flunking student to work; the employees discussing if they should just give up and accept Barnes 'n' Noble cards; the radio DJ; the child asking his mother for a brownie; the new boyfriend and girlfriend who don't know how to be subtle in public.  Just listen to them:  write down words and phrases that stand out (there doesn't have to be a reason for it).  You'd be surprised how much this helps.

And finally...write:  oftentimes, writer's block is just there because you said it was there.  It has a tendency to settle in and stay there, like an ugly blob of sadness, having a stay-cation in your brain.  When this happens, there's only one way to kick it out of the house, and that's to keep writing until it just goes away.  And remember, it will go away.

Eventually.

Which is what I did to get rid of my little case of writers block!  I read a few new books (which I might post about seperately), wrote down words that caught my eye, and eventually, those words turned to sentences, which turned into writing.  I hope this post helps you get rid of your writer's block!  Here's a little piece I wrote, to give you an example of how to get rid of writer's block...through writing.

Prompts:  what does writer's block feel like?
Does it have a name?
What does it look like?
What does writing feel like?
What do they eat?

EMPTY

It’s a weird feeling.  Not quite sad, but definitely not happy.  It leaves a dull ache in the stomach, like something is missing. They say if you give something a name, you’ll get attached, and they were right.  I named empty Writer’s Block.

Empty has a collar around a thin, dark and dying throat, where a shiny dog tag ID’s him by the name I so foolishly gave him.  When I try to write, try to reason with it, it’s like walking a Doberman without a destination in mind; you won’t get far but you’ll get there in such a hurry you won’t enjoy the walk at all.

Writing was different.  It took up hours and hours and was always demanding more, and yet I loved it.  It was my spoiled designer puppers; due to eat only the best food and only when it asked for it.  Sometimes it would yap me awake for nothing...it dominated my life.

But still, I loved it.  And in the end, it loved me too.

They say if you describe something, it only becomes realer.  And they were right.  But real doesn’t equal bad; real is something you can defeat.  You can stab it in the heart and plunder its dank cave for the spoils for the boss fight.  Why?

Because it’s real.

So this is me fighting back,  empty.  No more ache, no more dog tags.  I’ve made you real and this is the spoils of our battle.

Whatcha gonna do about it?

***

Again, I hope this helps!  I think I'm out of the woods now and I'm going to try to get back to posting weekly now.  Be sure to check out my other blogs and good luck breaking that writer's block!  Cya next week :D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jay & Noelle - WRITINGS TIPS

Hello, it's me... - Kathleen

Noelle - Day 250 (The Post For Writers)