Wonder Woman (bc you know imma gonna nit pick)
Hello!
KitKat the demon cat has this new food and she's not only refusing to eat it but taking it out on us in the form of guilt-inducing, big-eyed stares and knocking anything and everything off of tables and bookshelves.
In other news, Wonder Woman came out!
Yup, hello, it's Noelle, and before you even start, I know that most of my nit picking is usually reserved for Marvel and whatever Chris they crank out of that secret, super-hero-actor farm they have hidden away. BUT NOPE. I decided to go see Wonder Woman, mostly because Mom wanted to see it and I like giving movies (and their companies) second chances.
*awkward silence as I look passive agressively at Man of Steel*
Anywho, I actually legitimately liked this movie. So I thought I'd break it down for you in my NOT spoiler-free review. Yeah, if you want to be spoiler free...this is not the place to be. Sowwy. ONWARDS, BRETHERN!!
Let's start on a postive note: Pros
KitKat the demon cat has this new food and she's not only refusing to eat it but taking it out on us in the form of guilt-inducing, big-eyed stares and knocking anything and everything off of tables and bookshelves.
In other news, Wonder Woman came out!
Yup, hello, it's Noelle, and before you even start, I know that most of my nit picking is usually reserved for Marvel and whatever Chris they crank out of that secret, super-hero-actor farm they have hidden away. BUT NOPE. I decided to go see Wonder Woman, mostly because Mom wanted to see it and I like giving movies (and their companies) second chances.
*awkward silence as I look passive agressively at Man of Steel*
Anywho, I actually legitimately liked this movie. So I thought I'd break it down for you in my NOT spoiler-free review. Yeah, if you want to be spoiler free...this is not the place to be. Sowwy. ONWARDS, BRETHERN!!
I did some art work of Wonder Woman the day after seeing it because I'm that into it
Let's start on a postive note: Pros
- They did the feminine perspective well: I'm not as good with words as I'll pretend to be, so I'll try to keep this short and understandable. Do you ever watch something and just instantly know, 'this was written by a man, for a man?' It doesn't have to be obvious, but just one or two jokes (or a couple dozen), or the way the main female character is portrayed and how the men treat her, etc., you just slowly realize...this wasn't written for me. That's what I was expecting going into the theater, but BOY WAS I WRONG (special points if you're an Odd1sOut fan and read that in his voice :P ). This paragraph is starting to get difficult to read so...
- The love interest never overtakes Wonder Woman: she doesn't train him to be better than her, there's no moment where she realizes she needed him all along. And it doesn't go the other way, where Wonder Woman spends two hours and twenty minutes proving that she was right all along. They balance eachother out.
- Speaking of love interests: I don't remember names of characters (haha, sorry) but the love interest was a purely feminine fantasy. Not a buffed out, scary-looking guy like some heroes that have been cranked out recently *cough cough* but compassionate, caring, and adorable
- THE FRICKIN' FIGHT SCENES: I cannot stress how beautiful the fight scenes in this movie were. My favourite was probably the one on the beach, but honestly the slow motion, the choreography, just EVERYTHING about these fight scenes make them so honestly glorious. The only thing that could make them better is if there were more!
Cons
- Heels: Diana Prince (a.k.a. Wonder Woman) wears heels. The. Entire. Movie. And while heels are my tradmark, I cannot even begin to imagine wearing them to fight in the trenches of a world war. I don't have time to really go into it, but this EPBOT post really goes into details about it; would definitley suggest a read. In fact, just go and read her entire blog
- Ok, back now? Toldya EPBOT was awesome. The Final Battle: This is were the spoilers get real (again, sorry). There are two parts to this final battle. The first is where Love McLoveInterest sacrficies himself by flying a plane filled with bombs into the sky so no one is harmed (also, this plane is gigantic and made by Germans. Sensing some parallels here *narrows eyes suspiciously*) This part is good...and I'd never thought I'd say this...but it isn't long enough. Sure, the footage is great, but as a writer, I know a few secounds longer, and more drawn out through the battle, it'd be much more heart-wrenching. *sweats nervously* I know how to kill characters alright no need to glare
- Problem with the Final Battle Pt. 2: You probably know this from my rants about various Marvel movies, but I severely dislike it when powers just do whatever the heck they want. That's...that's not how super powers work. Yes, they may get stronger with time and practice, or perhaps certain emotions, but you can't just unlock new ones, and that's exactly what Wonder Woman did. She was suddenly able to fly, suddenly able to control lightning, and after getting beaten over and over was suddenly able to just DEFEAT ARES like it was NOTHING!! Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this...but...I can't be, right?
- Problem with the Final Battle Pt. 3: Ares was never explained. I mean, his backstory was there, but his powers, how strong he was...none of that was ever put in the story. Because, I mean, if you don't explain powers, THEN you can do whatever you want with them, right? (wrong) Would it have killed them to have a throw-away line of, "Ares can manipulate lightning, I must be prepared" or something? (also that's not Ares's power in the original stories, guys. Neither is manipulating metal. If you're going to go by myths, you should do some research first)
- I had a lot of problems with the final battle ok: This is a tiny thing, but...Ares was played by this dude with a mustache. Which I don't mind. But he apparently has ALWAYS had that mustache and I swear it looks like a fuzzy catipillar on his upper lip. I was so, so hoping that when he got burned right before the final battle, that his mustache would get burned away but nope, the whole time, there was just...a catipillar. There. Making it impossible for me to focus on anything else.
- Last tiny thing: I know it's impossible to have any true sense of suspense at this point, since Diana just kinda...showed up in Batman v. Superman (trying to give second chances here but can we all agree that Civil War was better?) but since the story started off with her in modern day times, I knew she didn't die. I knew she didn't! And any kind of fight she had from then on was just kinda...eh. (except the beach fight. THAT WAS AWESOME)
I know I listed more cons than pros but really this movie was great. I'm hoping this is a turn for the better for DC and not them just popping up for air before continuing on their gritty, wayward path. There's a reason I like Marvel more, guys: becasue despite how gritty and dark they get, they still make me laugh. And that's what was missing from movies like Man of Steel. But Wonder Woman did make me laugh, and it dragged me into this beautiful story about a naive yet impossibly powerful warrior and a band of misfits just trying to do what's right. 4 out of 5 stars, definitely.
Get rid of that mustache though.
(blah blah blah usual closing statement, reminder to tell your friends and comment with your thoughts on the movie, further sly reminders to check out my other blogs and accounts, final remark about having an awesome day)
Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment! We love hearing the feedback!